Floods are one of the most devastating among all natural disasters. A rather disturbing yet unavoidable fact for the mankind is that none of the equipments, science or measurement scales is able to predict the precise way & time of the floods.
The only and hence the most effective means to minimize the severe effects of floods amidst the human lives is making adequate preparations for the flood emergencies.
The strong tropical storms & hurricanes most oft cause floods even in the areas those are not prone to these events. In the kind of extreme & unpredictable weather conditions of the earth today, every one must get prepared for anything any time, particularly the floods.
Here are some tips that would help you safeguarding yourself, the family and the house in the event of the flash floods:
1. Prevent the Water from Entering in to the House
In case you are expecting sudden heavy rains and / or storms in the locality, especially in the flood-prone areas, one must cover their doors & windows, with the metal sheets, plywood, sandbags, etc. You might also like to use silicone sealant in order to ensure that no water enters in to the home.
2. Shut Off the Utilities
Remember, one must turn off all the electrical & other utilities like gas, electricity & even the mains of the water. Also remember unplugging all the electric appliances. Then make sure to store these at a place as high as possible, second or third floor, if possible.
3. Be Mindful of the Appliances & Furniture
To save the furniture & appliances from draining away in the water keep them in very high areas. Keeping them upstairs would be a great idea. In case there is no second floor in the house, try raising these items on bricks or blocks. Also remove all the carpets, curtains and the internal doors of the house. Store these also in high places in order to protect from water.
4. Save All the Important Belongings of the House
Like all other items of the house, keep all the important papers, pictures & other personal items high above the ground, particularly on house’s second floor. In case you do not have another floor in the house, put all the important papers in the sealed bags to save them from water of the floods.
5. Remove All the Objects form Outside the House
Remove all the objects placed outside the house, like rakes, etc. and place them in some safer space. Remember, flood water can float away these items easily and pose a danger to the lives of many people.
Once, the flood warning is issued by the Government, one must take the following moves:
1. In such times the information issued by the Government is very crucial so one must have a radio in hand to get the announcements & updates. Prefer having a battery operated radio.
2. Make sure to cooperate in full with the local authorities & the emergency services. In case they announce to evacuate the place, follow them with out any delays.
3. Since it is sure that electricity would fail in the crisis time, complete all your daily chores in time as it would become very difficult & unsafe to complete the tasks in the dark.
4. Make sure that you share all the crucial information with the neighbors, especially those who are old, so that they get time to prepare themselves.
5. Make sure that you stay with in the house. Flood waters can kill, particularly when its speed is raging. Make sure to note the rapid flow of the water as the six inches high wall of water could make you fall, and just two feet water can make the car float.
6. Make sure that the pets & the cars are all safe in what ever location they are.
7. Once you get the flood warning, stay on second floor of the house.
8. The raging water usually has objects floating in to it so you must not swim in it. This may either sweep you off or hurt you hard.
9. Flood waters are dirty & contaminated with sewage, hence, avoid contact with it if possible. You might survive the flood, but contaminated water could make you severely ill.
10. Places near the water places are the most dangerous spots of the place so keep away from the. For instance river bridges, river banks, sea defenses, etc. Many a times flood waters destroy and / or collapse the bridges & defenses.