What are the factors that affect the need for professionally cleaned carpets?
Some factors can affect how dirty your carpet gets and when you need to get it thoroughly cleaned. Those factors are:
1. The number of members in your family: Depending on how many members of the family live in your house (even pets should be counted as members here for proper estimate), you might need professional cleaning anywhere between 6-18 months. If you vacuum your carpets well, and there are just 2-3 adult members in your house, you might not need professional carpet cleaning for as long as 18 months. But if you’ve pets or toddlers or more members, you will need it more often.
2. Pets: Even if your pet is well trained, and there has never been a pet accident on the carpet, your pet sheds hair, oil, and dander. All of this gets deposited on the carpet. Breeds with long hair obviously make your carpet even dirtier and make you call for professional help quicker than usual (within about three to six months).
3. Children: Kids might spill over some drink on the carpet or just move around it with dirty hands or feet. These things are very usual in houses with children and require cleaning more often than usual. Go for professional cleaning within six to eight months.
4. Allergy & asthma patients in your home: Do you know a dirty carpet can worsen the condition of allergic and asthma patients? It’s because carpets act like dirt storehouses and trap several bacteria, micro-organisms and dust particles that affect such patients.
5. Cooking frequency: If you cook a lot of oil based dishes, your carpet around the open area adjacent to the kitchen will need more cleaning as cooking oil fumes get deposited into the carpet fibers.
6. Home decor elements like rugs & shoe racks at the entrance: People who have rugs at entrances and restrict the entry of shoes around the house have cleaner carpets than others. Having rugs ensures that your shoes leave off the dirt on the rugs (that can be easily washed) and not on the carpet. Using separate shoes for walking around the house makes it even better. This makes your carpets stay clean for a longer time.
7. The amount of soil in your carpet: Don’t go with the fancy claims of carpet manufacturers that say you don’t need to clean your carpet for months at a stretch. The truth is you need not clean them as long as there’s not much dirt deposited on them. Dust invariably damages the carpet fibers and should be removed as soon as possible. This is why regular vacuuming is again an important aspect of carpet maintenance.
How can you decide when you need professional carpet cleaning?
First, check the carpet manufacturer’s recommendation. Most probably, it would be around 12-18 months.
Do you have pets and kids in your home? If yes, reduce the number by 3-4 months.
Do you have allergy and asthma? If yes, reduce the number further by another 2-3 month.
Do you have lots of soil and dust entering your house? If yes, then minimize the number by 2-3 months.
That’s the easiest way to calculate. Don’t consider it insane if the number comes around very less.
Many homeowners wouldn’t believe that they need a professional cleaner every three months, but to be healthy and have a carpet that lasts long, they do. It’s not tough to locate good carpet cleaning companies these days, as technology driven platforms like Same Day Pros, are acting like a game changer by providing you easy access to best service pros available in your vicinity.