It’s messy, damaging, and stubborn. Carpet stains come in various color, form, and chemical composition. For this reason, different sets of procedures are in place to get rid of nasty stains. With the goal of preserving the quality and appearance of carpets, you need to first acknowledge that stains are inevitable so you need to be aware of what to do when that time finally happens.
General Precautions in Carpet Stain Removal
Specific procedures in carpet cleaning vary but some are generally observed like as follows:
1. Know the kind of material your carpet is made of in order to avoid a chemical reaction when using commercially-prepared cleaning agents. If unsure, contact the carpet manufacturer first before purchasing or applying any chemicals.
2. Read the directions in every cleaning solution you purchase before you use them. Using these agents haphazardly might lead to more damage on your carpet.
3. Make it a point to do a spot test. Using the ideal cleaning solution, get a clean cloth, put some of the solution, and try it on a hidden area of the carpet.
4. Protect yourself from the effects of handling chemicals. Use gloves when applying cleaning agents as some are skin-reactants.
5. Prior to purchasing a carpet, it is best to arm yourself with information about stain management. Ask the manufacturer about it first.
The general tips above are useful as you learn about the specific carpet cleaning steps below.
It feels nice to walk with a cup of coffee around until it spills. When this happens, here are the steps you need to take:
– Blotting: Get a white cloth and blot the stained area until it dries. You need a few pieces of dry cloth for two reasons. First, you need to change cloth as it absorbs the spilled beverage. Second, you need to work your way inwards to prevent the spill from spreading to a larger area.
– Home-made solution: Prepare a solution of water, vinegar, and a non-bleach detergent. Apply it on the stained area, rinse it and repeat as necessary. If this method does not work, it’s time to move on to the next method.
– Commercial solution: Look for a solution specifically design to treat coffee stains on carpets. Read the directions for use carefully before use.
– Reminder: The type of carpet you have plays a factor when it comes to carpet stain removal. If unsure, contact the manufacturer and ask for recommendations about managing coffee stains.
Inks stains are a variety. Some stains come from pens, some come printers, and some are from certain mechanical oils. Follow these steps to get rid of ink stains:
– Blotting: You need a piece of cloth to initially treat an ink stain. Never scrub or rub the cloth against the stain. This will spread the ink and will make cleaning more difficult for you.
– Home-made solution: Use Isopropyl alcohol to dampen a white cloth and dab it on the ink stain starting on the outermost area and going inwards. For better results, use a high percentage of Isopropyl solution. In addition, the following alcohol-based agents also work: nail polish, hairsprays, vinegar, and white wine. Rinse the stained area with water and use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of the remaining moisture.
– Commercial solution: Purchase a chemical-based solution for carpet cleaning, read the directions and precautions for carpet stain removal, and apply as directed on the stained area.
– Reminder: Do not pour alcohol directly to the stained area. Because ink emulsifies, the stain may spread.
Blood stains need to be treated as soon as possible. Here’s what you can do:
– Blotting: Cleaning blood stains is a bit different. Instead of you spraying just enough liquid on the stained part, you need to liberally soak the same area for faster stain removal.
– Home-made solution: Use cold water and an anti-grease detergent to spray the stained part. Get a dry cloth to absorb the moisture. Repeat the process as necessary.
– Commercial solution: OxiClean is only among the popular products specifically designed to treat blood stains. Use it with either cold or warm water.
– Reminder: When following the home-made carpet cleaning solutions, use cold water to prevent blood coagulation.
On a final note, the carpet stain removal procedures provided above do not entail impeccable solutions. If hesitant, call for professional assistance. And always bear in mind that stains are better cleaned off as soon as they happen for better results.