What is Mold?
Mold is a type of fungus that can grow on fibers. Mold is most often associated with locations
such as bathrooms, basements and attics because they tend to be more damp or musty. Mold
travels through the air as tiny spores and then can land in wet areas where the spores can spread
Molds are fungi that reproduce by releasing tiny spores into the air. Spores that land on moist
objects may begin to grow. There are thousands of different types of mold and we encounter
many of them every day, in our homes and outdoors. Stachybotrys chartarum, black Molds in
residential or commercial areas can Cause Health Problems and Structural Damage. Therefore it
is very important to diagnose mold , remediate and prevent further damage and health related
What is Toxic Mold?
Toxic mold is a type of mold that produces hazardous by-products, called mycotoxins. While
individuals with asthma and other respiratory problems may have reactions to many types of
mold, it’s thought that mycotoxins are more likely to trigger health problems in even healthy
individuals. These toxins are believed to be linked to memory loss and to severe lung problems in
infants and the elderly.
Floating particles of mold are invisible to the naked eye, so it’s impossible to see where they
might have landed until they begin to grow. Loose mold particles that accumulate on items within
a house are easily inhaled and can be a constant irritation to the people and pets who live there.
The toxic mold we hear most about is Stachybotrys chartarum, a slimy, greenish-black mold that
grows on moisture-laden materials that contain cellulose, such as wood, paper, drywall, and other
similar products. It does not grow on tile or cement.
Even if the mold in your home is not toxic mold, it can still be a problem, because any mold
growing on organic materials will in time destroy them–and too much mold of any type smells bad
and degrades air quality.